Club Name: Harare West
Name of the Project: Refurbishment of Diabetic Cubicle of Sally Mugabe Children’s Hospital First Floor Ward
- Refurbishment of the diabetic cubicle of the first-floor ward at Sally Mugabe Children’s Hospital.
Area of focus:
- Maternal and Child Health
- Sally Mugabe Children’s Hospital is the largest children’s referral hospital in Zimbabwe, boasting a …-bed capacity. It caters for children from the poorest areas of Harare as well as accepting referrals from most parts of the country. Each year it treats…sick children and provides … consultations. It plays an essential role that spans births to surgery, along with vaccination campaigns. It is a beacon of hope for sick children, mothers, and the community in general.
- Sally Mugabe Children’s Hospital was built in 1999, Twenty-three years is a long time for any structure and especially a hospital that is used around the clock to go without refurbishment. First Floor Ward is a 65 bedded ward with 7 cubicles, which are 9- bedded each. The ward is in a dilapidated and deplorable state thereby compromising not only the recovery of the children, but the well-being of the mothers, too. Its state is so deplorable that it no longer provides the necessary sanitary conditions required for hospitalised children. Everything needs to be redone in the ward, electricity, paintwork, bathrooms, and sanitation. The children and mothers deserve a warm, welcoming age-appropriate environment which is clean, light and airy.
- Refurbishment of the ward will greatly improve the condition of the ward so that that staff can also continue to provide high quality paediatric health care.
- RC Harare West is honoured to have this opportunity to begin this project while we scout for other project partners to complete the refurbishment of not only the Diabetic cubicle but the whole of First Floor Ward. Children must have continued access to adequate health services in a bright, friendly, and happier place which will aid faster recovery. The transformation will make a huge difference to the nearly … children and young people cared for each year, giving them a calming environment to receive treatment in a welcome distraction. We will give the ward a jungle makeover with colourful illustrations of trees, water, animals, and birds decorating the walls.
- Ongoing Project.
- Children admitted in the ward, mothers as well as staff (doctors and nurses) working in the ward who will be motivated to continue to provide excellent care for the children.
- The community through future admissions at the hospital and improved recovery rates through enhanced spaces for children. Improved spaces fit for purpose to encourage clinicians and staff to provide excellent care for the children.
- Sally Mugabe Children’s Hospital is committed to making sick children well again by promoting sustainable practices and creating healthier facilities through safer products, less waste and efficient use of energy and water.
- Plascon Paints Company – paints
- National Carpets – curtains
Budget: Below is the breakdown of the Project budget of USD $3750
Source of Funding
Donation from Partner – Plascon
Labour – Tools and Painting
Donation from Project – Plascon
Transport for Painters
Donation from Project – Plascon
Donation from Rotarian
Paint brushes for Mural Painting
Donation form Rotarian
Donation from Partner ‘- National Carpets
Rotaract Club of Harare West
RC Harare West
- Patricia Kambarami